The BBC weather website is trying to redefine the word breezy. If there’s any air movement at all it is classified as breezy. The Norfolk Punt Open took place the weekend in conditions that were breezy, but in the old fashioned sense, in that there was a stiff wind that was very gusty. The racing on Saturday and Sunday morning was challenging but these conditions didn’t upset the fleet and with brilliant sunshine and an air of excitement the crews handled conditions in true Punt style. Some wet and some dry finishers enjoyed some thrilling sailing and although numbers were down on previous years the standard was as high as ever.
Our visitor from Ullswater Colin Murray won in Whooper with Punt Club Commodore Andrew Wilton a close second and Matthew Scott in Woodpecker in third place
On Sunday afternoon the Norfolk Punt Club raced in challenging winds made up for by a cloudless sky. Two wins by Driver father and son in the YBOD Grizzled Skipper were the outstanding performances of the day.
Series 1 Allcomers B
1. James Driver, YBOD Grizzled Skipper
2. Simon Goodman, YBOD Mazarine Blue
3. Andrew Wilton, punt Merlin
Series 2 Allcomers B
1. Andrew Wilton, punt Merlin
2. Simon Jenner, Yarmouth Pimpernel
3. Martin Mills, Wayfarer Exclaim
1. James Driver, Grizzled Skipper
2. Simon Goodman, Mazarine Blue